Re: [OM] IMG: Clara

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Clara
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 13:48:26 -0800
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>>

This was the hardest photo of all.  Clara has dark skin and I was afraid
she would get lost on the very dark stage.
Nice!

I guess it was too dark in there to try to get more DoF? The nutcracker looks a
bit fuzzy. Does your Leica have IBIS?

Theatre photography is not easy!

This first one, now Clara 0, is my favorite, but not for technical things like noise, highlights, DoF, and so on. It's because of LINE.

Sticking with dance, Carol and I agree to disagree about the old musicals. She prefers Gene Kelly, for strength, and the almost animal power which which he moves. I prefer Fred Astaire. It seems that no matter what he does, he is always creating a wonderful line with his body.

For an example outside of dance, I think one of the several sorts of genius that made Calvin and Hobbes great is that Bill Watterson draws some of the most perfect lines ever.

So, sure, the nutcracker in Clara 0 is dark and perhaps OoF. So, drop in the one from Clara II. And it's a bit noisy in the shadows. This is artful photography of art, not clinical, so the noise can go away. And the line of the stage isn't exactly level, and the dress is not very bright. All minor fixes.

What makes it sing for me is Line. I've illustrated what I see, what MikeG may have felt, but not articulated. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Clara_Nutcracker.htm>

Clara II doesn't have such pure lines, but isn't bad. As far as processing, I like Clara 0 as art, and Clara II as documentation, and perhaps promo.

All in the Line Moose