Re: [OM] Another NR datapoint

Subject: Re: [OM] Another NR datapoint
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:15:12 -0800
On 11/12/2019 9:06 AM, Philippe wrote:
The thing is, as soon as you touch the noise, you have to address the remainder.

SIGH . . .

This was not, as I tried to say, about improving the photo. It was solely about how different NR tools work with various kinds of subjects and noise.

I personally am not a fan of grain and noise. They have a place, but it's a very small place in my world. With DxO Prime NR and NeatImage v8, the landscape of NR tools has changed fairly recently. Now, with Topaz Denoise AI, the change is even more dramatic.

So, I'm interested in how they work for me. I recently posted a shot of an Irish fairy illustrating how differently three products worked on a portrait shot @ ISO 3200.

The Berlin Wall doesn't loom large in my legend. I don't find pictures of it or of its fall particularly interesting; they don't engage me emotionally. So when I saw this one, what I saw was the unusual noise pattern, I was slightly curious as to what had caused the noise gradient in the sky and more curious how NR tools would work on it.

I will undoubtedly continue to play with NR tools. If folks don't want to see what I find, I'll stop going to the trouble of posting what I find.