Re: [OM] IMG: Berlin Wall

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Berlin Wall
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 13:49:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     On 13 August 1961, the Berlin Wall went up, one of many global and
regional events that happened while I was living in France, about 60 miles
south of Paris at Headquarters US Army Europe (later moved to Ramstein).  My
father came home for weeks with a helmet, fieldpack, and a rifle.  I wasn't
much aware of what was happening, but later when the wall came down 30 years
ago I realised just how precarious life had been while living over there.
Despite all this, it was one of the most pleasant times of my childhood.

     The BBC has posted a very interesting and lengthy article about what one
small, bold group of people did to help smuggle people out of East Berlin by
way of a tunnel.  It's well worth reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Od4dL9Lip2/tunnel_29

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson