Re: [OM] Ear Thingies - Seriously Off Topic

Subject: Re: [OM] Ear Thingies - Seriously Off Topic
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:05:50 -0500
On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:21 PM Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Off Topic, but that's why this list exists. Right? :)
>
> It's been an adventure getting new Bluetooth ear-thingies. I have
> several requirements and preferences:

I read this with some interest.  My main use for ear-thingies is to reduce
the boredom when I am 30-40 minutes on a treadmill in a public location.
They also signal to the curious or loquacious: "Don't bother me."

I opt for BT ones because a bouncing cord usually transfers some noise.  I
have two sets and both earpieces are ultimately connected to each other by
cords that connect to the electronics module.  My LG set is pretty old and
has a yoke that sits at the base of my neck.  It bounces a bit when I'm
running, but I am able to concentrate on the music sufficiently well to
push out of mindfulness the non-musical noises of the bouncing.  I have a
cheaper Chinese set whose module is really suspended between the earpieces
and is much lighter than the LG set.  It is harder to ignore the extraneous
noise of the wires as they move, so I tend to prefer the old LG set (which
is also Chinese, of course).

I had a set of Shure in-ear headphones that were noise cancelling,
primarily because they went so deep into the ear canal.  They were not BT,
so the cord plugged into the phone or iPod and absolutely any movement of
the cord was transferred to the ear.  I left them somewhere but haven't
missed them.  They were only good for falling asleep to or maybe whiling
away the hours on a flight.  And they hurt after awhile.  Nothing's
perfect.  And that doesn't even touch on the subject of MP3s.  Let's not
get started on that.

Joel (I remember when M[a]cintosh was an amp) W.