Re: [OM] Gloucester Schooner Festival

Subject: Re: [OM] Gloucester Schooner Festival
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:19:37 -0500
Great change of pace from butterflies, Mike.  Nice to have such great subjects close to home.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Thirty-two schooners participated this year. Roseway is a particularly
attractive schooner built a few miles from us in Essex in 1925 by John James in
his family's shipyard.  American Eagle was built in Gloucester in 1930
as a fishing schooner and is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. Fame is the only
non-original I know of.  The original was a Chebacco fishing schooner that was reborn as
a privateer when the war broke out in the summer of 1812.  It is said that this schooner
was the first to bring home a "prize" and had 20 more captures before being
wrecked in the Bay of Fundy in 1814.

The light was super harsh so didn't have much hope for a super shot and the
paparazzi in small vessels were scooting about.  I stood out on a big flat rock
until the tide chased me in.

I didn't stick around for the race though American Eagle had won 3 out of the
past 4 years.

Here are a few for the flavor of the day.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Gloucester-schooner-Festival-2019/

Salty Mike