Re: [OM] Adapters R Us

Subject: Re: [OM] Adapters R Us
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 10:54:01 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> So, this means that I just need to adapt the OM Zuikos to the m43 body
> without worrying about using a focal-length reducer.

Ah, but focal reducers give you much more than a stop of light and a wider
angle!

By “pushing defects away,” they actually improve resolution and contrast. It
probably doesn’t really improve things if you would move closer to get the same
field of view, but if you *want* the 135mm field-of-view (for example), then
the OM 200/4 with a focal reducer is going to be better than the unadorned OM
135/2.8.

Yea, the Metabones is pricey. You might want to try the Viltrox EF-M2 II (plus
an inexpensive EF->OM ring), which for longer focal lengths, at least, appears
to be almost as good as the Metabones. (I still think the Metabones is
considerably better on wides, though.) These can be had for under $120 — not a
bad price for doubling the focal lengths in your OM stable! Be sure to get the
new “II” version, which behaves well with non-electronic lenses. The older
version requires taping off its contacts, or it will refuse to work with a
non-electronic lens.

The Viltrox plus an EF->OM ring is pretty stable, and doesn’t have a lot of
play like stacking longer adapters tends to have.

I’ve gone from skeptic to enthusiast. Most of my OM shooting is with a focal
reducer attached these days.

Jan