Re: [OM] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations

Subject: Re: [OM] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 17:42:47 -0400
On 10/4/2019 3:20 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
I think Ctein is a fine photographer and a gifted printer. I'm sitting right at
my computer which has next to it a 13x19 print of one of his shots and it's
quite good. But that said, he is a techie. He would be pleased if the computer
did the whole thing and he just knocked out prints.

Seems like a fat duck to me. I know Ctein, been to his house and he to mine. I've seen his printing room and many prints, and discussed various qualities of gear and prints. We've traded app and work flow ideas. More acquaintances or photo friends, as there is no overlap in other areas of our lives.

In any case, I disagree with your assessment. Yes, he's a serious techie, and fanatic about certain aspects of gear. OTOH, he is a fine photographer who shoots for his own vision, and recognizes the visions of others.

You are correct that he is interested in any tools that will make getting the results he wants easier, but also he is willing to spend countless hours on one image, getting it just the way he wants it.

If a new sharpening tool gives better results, it's for him (and me; we've discussed Sharpen AI.) I can't see where substituting a better, but slower, sharpening tool for a prior one in any way makes one less artist, or more automated.

I recognize the good qualities of most of his work, although only a small portion excites me. I have both the $20 Bay Bridge photo I believe you have and a larger and much more expensive print of one of his IR shots, which I like a LOT.

Duck Hunting Moose