[OM] IMG: Oak Tree Story

Subject: [OM] IMG: Oak Tree Story
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 15:40:03 -0500
When we purchased this lot, over 50 years ago, it had 8 or 10 oak trees on it, of a variety known locally as Blackjack Oak, not noted for its longevity.  Some were lost in siting the house, others because they became  a threat to the house as they grew older, so that only two remain.  Replacements have been Tulip Poplars, which should last a while.

I recently noticed that the oak in the back yard has a lightning track down one side from an old strike  at some time.  And, alongside the scar, a patch of fungi has taken up residence.  I finally caught the light right to get a picture of this tree marking.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20190919-P9190153.JPG.html

Not quite in the class with Don's Austin oaks, but it will have to suffice for today.

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA