Re: [OM] Advice sought--how's and why's of WiFi extenders

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice sought--how's and why's of WiFi extenders
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 05:39:04 -0700
At 9/2/2019 10:45 PM, Philippe wrote:

>> Le 2 sept. 2019 Ã  22:51, Mike Gordon via olympus
>> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>>
>> <<Weâ??ve been using this Devolo system for two years now, and are perfectly
>> happy
>> <<with it (stable, reliable, and fast).
>>
>> Thanks for thinking about this, Philippe.  I was hoping to avoid a complete
>> redo of all devices hooked to to wifi due to time constraints.  I stumbled
>> into a brand new relatively inexpensive Mesh extender.
>>
>> https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re300/
>>

>Price apart, I was told when I selected ours, that those you plug into the
>mains may trigger unwanted side-effects on, say, your washing machine,
>stereo-set, or outdoors lighting. I donâ??t know why nor how (corrupt
>carrier?).
>Thatâ??s why I chose the devolo system. I simply had to give the local wifi
>network a name, and all my wi-fi appliances saw it. It was then just a matter
>of entering the password I had settled for, once for all on each, and it was
>done. Seamless wi-fi mobility on the premises :-) Same applies to guests, easy
>as pie.
>
>Amities
>Philippe

Sounds like one with a bad switching regulator so likely very model dependent.
There is nothing inherent in WiFi itself that would cause problems.

If you have X10 smart products in you home, just about anything on the power
line can disrupt that. Especially if the regulator in the device uses toroidal
filter cooils, which most do.

WayneS