[OM] Advice sought--how's and why's of WiFi extenders

Subject: [OM] Advice sought--how's and why's of WiFi extenders
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 21:58:24 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Wifi signal in far end of upstairs bedroom falls  off to about 8MBS on my
speedtest.  I got it up to this by moving the modem/router a tad and re-aiming
the antennae.  (My Vera controller seemed to make it worse/nonexistent when I
set it up--this is reported)  The wifi is at full bandwidth at an outlet in the
upstairs hallway about midway to the router. (The perfect spot!)

I was thinking of adding one of these doohickeys but  this requires one to sign
into a different network as does not support mesh. Might be OK as long as don't
have to choose it by default each time.

https://tinyurl.com/yy74gw27

A fancier mesh extender might be more elegant but worry about  unforeseen
interference with devices I already have hooked up or other unknown unknowns as
have no experience with this.
Perhaps something like this:

https://tinyurl.com/yyownjyy

One reviewer of the TP-link N300 bought that as he did not like the non mesh
system.  Most seem to like the TP-link OK.  Appreciate any input.

Network newb, Mike