Re: [OM] IMG: The Buckeye is Becoming More Common

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Buckeye is Becoming More Common
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 19:25:42 -0500
Bill, I know of three cases where the term "Buckeye" shows up.

1) The case you mentioned, the Buckeye tree, produces a shiny nut that is polished by believers as a good luck charm.

2) The Common Buckeye is the name of a colorful butterfly, several of which seem to be passing through my area this year, which I am happy to photograph.

3) The Ohio State football team is known as the "Buckeyes", and has been, at least back to the days of Woody Hayes and his "3 yards and a cloud of dust" style of power football.

I see no real commonality among the three.

My late wife's family came from Joplin, about as far SW as you can get in Missouri.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA