Re: [OM] 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back...

Subject: Re: [OM] 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back...
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 08:15:09 -0700
> From: usher99@xxxxxxx <mailto:usher99@xxxxxxx>
>
> <<<<I used to be a skeptic. "How can 'adding glass' make things any better?"
>
> Look at the white paper by Brain Caldwell.

Yea, I read Caldwell when I was a skeptic, and still remained a skeptic until I
did some tests of my own!

> … the Speedboosters he designed are top notch.

I’m pretty impressed with the Viltrox EF-M2. It appears to be either a
well-executed knock-off, or perhaps ever Caldwell’s OEM, down to the quality
case on the one I got. (I don’t know how they could get away with competing
with their customer, unless Metabones broke the OEM agreement.)

> TC's really do magnify all the aberrations--I member putting one on the OMZ
> 50/3.5 with horrid results.  Some lenses just don't like them.

I used to think TCs were pure evil. But then I started using them very
carefully, on very high quality lenses.

The OM 1.4-XA simply is invisible on the OM 350/2.8. And I’m very impressed
with the MC-14, too, even when used with OM glass via adapter. The EC-14 does a
wonderful job on higher-end 4/3rds glass, too.

I’ve never met a third-party TC I liked, and I’ve never seen a decent 2x TC,
either. I’ve got both the Olympus brand OM and the 4/3rds 2x TCs, and I keep
hoping they’re gonna improve by just sitting on the shelf, gathering dust, but
every time I put them on, I’m disappointed.

> Tamron 1.4 TC on the Tammy 80-200 always has worked well.

Never had that lens, but had the Tamron 300/2.8 with the matched TC for a
while, and was a bit underwhelmed, especially after getting the OM 350/2.8, at
which point, I sold the Tamron.

Jan