Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work
From: Christopher Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 21:01:19 -0400
Coyotes were first encountered by the ancestors of today's Native Americans
thousands of years ago. If you meant "first encountered by white people" then
that happened 300 years before Lewis and Clark when the Spanish encountered the
Coyote in the early 1500s.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

On 8/1/19, 7:46 PM,
"olympus-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<olympus-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

         Interesting article.  Coyotes were first encountered by Lewis & Clark,
and they have been a significant part of Native American and Mayan folklore.
They have been moving eastward as they are forced out of their historical
range, and have been cross-breeding with various species of wolves along the
way.

         They are neither dogs nor wolves, but are instead more closely related
to the Golden Jackal of north Africa and southern Europe.  For a detailed
rundown on coyotes, you can't do better than the book "Coyote America" by Dan
Flores (ISBN 978-0-465-05299-8).

         Many years ago I had a dog that was a coyote half-breed.  He had the
overall size and outline (large tail and ears, lanky legs) of a coyote and the
pelt markings of a Golden Shepard.  Damned good outdoors dog.

    >Yes, quite svelte.  Our coyotes on the other hand, are large and may be
    >wolf hybrids.
    >
    >https://tinyurl.com/yxp98mur
    >
    >One followed my car down the driveway and they have slept on our back
    >patio.
    >
    >Watch your pet critters, Mike

    Chris

         - Hunter S. Thompson