Re: [OM] Editing

Subject: Re: [OM] Editing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 21:50:28 -0700
On 7/30/2019 3:35 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I am cleaning up old files on my Drobo and trying to consolidate
everything.  Years ago, I spent a couple of weeks with Maggie Steber, a
photo editor, who helped me edit 50,000 of my Honduran photos down to about
24.  The problem is that I have many, many more than the original 50,000
that she edited.  According to my LR files, I have 174,258 photos of
Honduras.  If I spend the rest of my life editing them I will not finish.
But just glancing through, it looks like there are a lot I would include in
a final edit.  So what to do?

Are you confusing two different processes? Selection and editing are two separate things, to which you refer with the same word. Or perhaps selection and processing are two parts of editing?

Were it my dilemma, the first step would be to decide about how many photos I actually want to edit/process and show/sell, then cut the selection down to something like that. There are a lot of strategies for that, some of which have been discussed here. All involve a multi pass process, using the rating systems in apps like LR to winnow out the chaff and save the best. The idea is that eliminating the chaff in successive passes moves the best up. Then, with fewer to compare, decisions between the better ones become easier.

Then comes the actual editing to prepare for display. 24 photos of Honduras is clearly too few; 1,000 may be too many, for example.

I've had the same sort of problem with making photo books. The printer I was using had a max of 50 pages, 100 photos. I found the process of selection pretty interesting, if sometimes frustrating, and the results generally satisfying.

Now, my problem is Bhutan. My Fall 2017 gallery has 563 photos in it. I know it could easily grow to about 800, if I complete all those I like. Spring 2019 is only 59, so far, but will also end up several hundred.

So what do I do for books? I know I can whittle those numbers down, but nowhere near the limits of books. Do I give up on my ideal of one page per photo? Do I split them into subjects? I haven't figured that out.

In the meantime, of course, I continue to go to other places, take pix, and
select and edit them for galleries.

Glub Glub Moose