Re: [OM] Persistent pad puzzlement

Subject: Re: [OM] Persistent pad puzzlement
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 08:44:57 -0500
On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 6:06 PM Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marnie no longer has her pad  from work made by that fruit company.  I
> settled on an 11" but not sure what keyboad/protection.  She sometimes
> reads at night and every 6 mos or so it will take a dive as
> theta and delta waves take over.   We will type on  occasion.  I was
> attracted to the apple folio keyboard as it uses the smart connector thus
> eliminating the battery/bluetooth requirement, but as they are wont to
> do, it seems to prioritize style/elegance over what actually happens.  I
> don't think drops will be well tolerated. If it is adequate in that
> department, then sold.
> None of the more protective cases are perfect, but I am attracted  the
> microfiber Zugu and the buttons seems to work best according to some
> reviews.  The i-clever keyboard folds up nicely and might be sufficient for
> the modest use and quite portable to boot.
> Wanted to elicit any comments before a final decision.
>
> Tabletless, Mike

Mike,
What I have to say may be irrelevant if you are intent upon a true tablet,
but I went through a similar undertaking recently.

I have an ancient iPad that Apple ceased supporting years ago.  I have two
different BT keyboards for it, but that means you really need some sort of
case for both in order to be able to type on it like a laptop (as in typing
in the old easy chair, as I am doing at the moment).  So I just got a cheap
HP laptop from Costco.  This laptop has a touch screen and the top/monitor
rotates 180 degrees on its hinges.  Most laptops, if they live long enough,
experience hinge failure.  I don't think this one will.  But my main goal
was to have something that could work like a tablet if I wanted that.
After a month or so, I still haven't experimented with tablet format much.
I have the feeling that the best thing about its ability to work like a
tablet is that the hinges are more robust.  I did use it once in tablet
mode with Faststone loaded to show a little gallery of photos to my
brother.  Worked as my iPad would have (if I could get photos loaded on my
old iPad without a crowbar and incantations).  SS drive is fast.

I expect to do my online reading on this device as well.  I just haven't
done any of that yet, so I can't speak to the convenience of it.  Might be
the difference between a big book and a small book in conventional terms.

Weight is no comparison if you must have the ultimate lightness.  This
probably weighs twice what the lightest laptops weigh (something with "Air"
in the name) and not the thinnest either.  Reasonably cheap at $700.  Less
than a SOTA phone anyway.

Winders 10, of course.  My slow DSL connection was agonizing in the first
few days as it was running through updates, but that's just a bad memory
now.

I apologize if this was meant to be an Apple-centric thread.  Not trying to
cause problems and/or platform contention.  I will remain curious as to
what you end up purchasing in any case.

Joel W.