Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 05:37:10 -0700
Blades... My my, I have to confess that I have too many knives, but am not
going to apologize. My favorite is an Al Mar, light weight, very sharp, but
recently have acquired a CRKT, or rather two,  both flippers with liner lock.
Actuallly one has a titanium handle that doubles as the liner lock. Very light
weight and very sharp. More often than not, I need to be able to open/close one
handed. And here in AZ, autos are legal... The CRKTs have very grippy handles.

But if I'm going to abuse a knife, I have cheaper alternatives. After years of
practice, I can now put a decent edge on a knife. From my dad, father in-law,
relatives, ... I have been given a number of stones. Today, these oil/wet
stones would probably cost more than the knives I sharpen. My dad taught me how
to sharpen, including hand sharpening jointer blades, and how to keep them flat.

And you cannot have too many good kitchen knives. What fun is cooking with a
poor knife. I cringe when a guest is using one of my favorites. Or think a
knife is for prying. Might as well hammer nails with your camera lens.

There is nothing more agonizing than realizing you left your knife in your
carry on at the airport. I've also lost one in my attic with blown in
insulation. There are some very powerful small magnets in old disk drives I
have tried.... and I am working on a custom metal detector ... and may just
vacuum out the crappy insulation in the whole upper space. knife obsession is
right up there with lenses.

WayneS