Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 01:48:13 -0700
On 7/28/2019 11:53 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
<...>. The other was a Klein Tools 44034 Pocket Knife.

I'm rather intrigued by this knife. This is not a fancy knife. It's
not expensive. It's not Kmart quality either. There is nothing even
remotely interesting about the knife. The rosewood inlay just makes it
slightly less homely than that stray dog of unknown lineage. It's
probably one of the least interesting pocket knifes I've seen.

It's functional.

But, it's also very thin. It has decent balance. The blade is the
correct length and the handle provides just the right amount of
leverage before the slot's sharp edges dig into your skin. And the
lock is very solid. It's a tool!

My favorite in that size range is a far less known brand ;-)  a Sanrenmu SRM F1-723. Blade 1/4" shorter, slightly slimmer and lighter.

In it's favor:

a. The carbon fiber scales are "grippy". One of the failings of a simple stainless body is that it's slippery; not a good thing when using a sharp implement seriously.

b. Klein never says what steel their blade is. Probably that good, old workhorse, 440C. Super stainless, and not bad for a cheap steel. Will neither take as fine an edge as better steels nor hold it as well. The Sanrenmu is 8Cr14Mov, a much better steel.

c. One hand opening. I always seem to be wanting an open knife when I have
something in my hand.

d. Liner lock. This is more personal ergonomics. I don't much like lock-backs
on smaller knives.

e. Nice pocket clip. That's how I carry it, but the clip is easily removed.

f. No big deal in this range, but it's also less expensive. Available via
Amazon, or much cheaper from several sources.

OK, so I'm at least partially "one of those guys". I own far too many knives, pocket, kitchen, workshop . . . My kitchen has some similarity to an armory. I have a hand made paring knife I only use for trimming Brussels Sprouts - Sheesh! :-)

Still, there's no way I'm going to use a slippery pocket knife. It's dangerous. Dull knives are also dangerous, requiring too much force to cut, and being inconsistent along the blade.

The Sanrenmu has been my most used pocket knife for years. (And will be again, when the glow is off the recent Lagouile acquisition.)

And yes, my favorite kitchen knife is a Takeyuki, hammered damascus over VG-10
core.

<. . .>

And chances are, I'll go right out and buy one exactly like it to replace it.

I already bought my replacement.

Sharp Moose