Re: [OM] IMGS: Switzerland, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Switzerland, etc.
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:28:45 -0400
Beginning in 1980 when my mother died the week before Christmas and Tom's
mother died the week after Christmas, instead of exchanging gifts at
Christmas, we took the kids out of school and spent a month in a different
country every year.  We rented a house (in Guatemala it was a 3 room house
with a dirt floor and no running water!) and learned a little about the
culture of the country where we were.  Sometimes Tom was working in the
country we visited and our expenses were covered.  Usually, we just lived
like the locals and I cooked local foods from the market.  As a result, our
kids all love to travel and know a little about the world we live in.  As
Mark Twain said,  “*Travel* is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and
narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.
Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by
vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Amen.

Tina