[OM] Nathan's PAD 23/6/2019: Brussels people with my Leica

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/6/2019: Brussels people with my Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:06:56 +0200
I am on a one-night trip to Brussels. Today I have meetings at the European
Commission later this morning, but yesterday I took a morning flight so as to
have a Sunday afternoon and evening to enjoy the city in sunshine and warm
weather. For once, I took my Leica M8 on the trip, figuring that with daylight
from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. I would have enough light not to need high ISOs (the
Leica’s weak point). On the other hand, I would be able to take advantage of
the Leica’s strength, in particular for discreet people photography, where the
ability to pre-focus and quickly compose and snap make it a supreme tool on the
street. Seven images, taken throughout the day (the first two on the plane).

This one, of a fellow passenger’s legs, has some of that dreaded Leica
banding—I shot it at ISO 320 but it was underexposed so in effect I shot it at
a higher ISO with the resulting technical imperfections. But I still like it:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-FGmJQ2p/A

Shortly before landing, the crew announced that this was the captains last
flight before retiring after a 43-year career in the air. The passengers
applauded heartily, and when we landed and I was disembarking, I shook his hand
and asked to take a quick portrait:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4CHhWMR/A

Brussels was full of people and these electric scooters on this warm summer
day. Most looked pretty unstable. I just read that this is the most dangerous
transport mode of all—three times riskier than riding a motorcycle:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-hHGVVth/A

Ice cream was in great demand on this warm day. This one was taken near Grand’
Place:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-V4st3RZ/A

Bar guests, The Monk, Place Sainte-Catherine, one of my customary watering
holes in Brussels:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XS973bB/A

Couple enjoying the sunshine at the pond, Place Sainte-Catherine:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wRKrJSC/A

Finally, my last image of the day, waiting for the metro back to my hotel,
Sainte-Cathering station:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-32DQV3d/A

Cheers,
Nathan