Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1X

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1X
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 16:22:27 -0700
I agree with his Mooseness. Which is why, even with a recommendation from
Moose for considering one of the compact Panny bodies as well as the
Olympus ones, I ultimately went for a used E-PL8 with the viewfinder
attachment, recently. Bigger is just heavier, takes up more volume, and
getting a "grip" won't help much, as I shoot much like Moose describes.
Saved enough money to buy a lens and some other doo-dads as well. Small,
light and oh-so portable.

KEH for the win :-) Total cost, including a 70-300mm lens, the EVF-4, the
EPL-8 body, and then a selection of adapters, extension tubes, an
remote/interval timer and a few other goodies via Amazon, was about the
same cost as a new Pen-F body (with built-in finder), or the suggested
Panny body, and only having to give up the 4 megapickles additional I'd
have gotten with the Pen F or even pricier DSLR type body. I'll never miss
those additional pixels. Plus all that fits in a quite small bag along with
existing lenses, chargers, batteries, memory cards, and an EPL-3 body as a
backup.

Scott

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:32 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/13/2019 10:50 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> >> <>
> >
> > That it does. At minimum, I'd get the E-M1 mk2 with the grip. I find
> > it does balance well in the hand and is resizeable for those times
> > when I go hiking. But the grip is the game changer and really gives
> > the camera a much better balance with any lens longer than, say, the
> > 17mm pancake.
>
> Different hands . . .
>
> I don't want a bloody Damn vertical grip. I sure as blazes don't want one
> that I can't take off and leave in a drawer.
>
> I don't understand all this balance stuff. Right hand holds the camera
> body, left is on the zoom ring. With my longest,
> heaviest lens, the PLeica 100-400, the lens may rest on my left hand when
> not changing the FL? I really don't know,
> 'cause I just don't notice. I think that's the surest sign that all is in
> balance - for me.
>
> A battery/vertical grip just adds weight, makes my arms tired faster,
> while it doesn't improve anything else.
>
> E-M1X - BAH!
>
> Yes, the batteries in my GX9s aren't terribly long lasting, especially
> with focus stacking and bursts to catch moving
> things; that's why I have pockets and a vest.
>
> Ranting Moose
>
> --
> --

Scott