[OM] A7 Manual Focus [was quiet members...]

Subject: [OM] A7 Manual Focus [was quiet members...]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:15:58 -0700
On 6/9/2019 7:15 PM, Maggie wrote:
Re: ...and on that note,  has anyone heard from Brian Swale of late?

davidt
Hello all,

I still read the Digest periodically as I get it sent to my wife's computer which has a much larger mailbox than mine has.

What a coincidence - I had tried to send a posting to the group on the same day that later I see people asking where / what I'm up to. But clearly I have forgotten the posting protocols as the message from my main computer didn't get through. So hopefully this one from my wife's computer will work.

I'm comparatively fine; turned over 80 on the odometer last October.

Nice to hear from you!!

But I've lost a lot of weight due in part to recurring respiratory ailments. Am now going to the gym to try and add some more covering for my bones.

Could I send you some? ;-) I'm five years behind you, and a lot of lbs ahead.

What I tried to post to you all was the news that I have bought a 2nd hand Sony A7 camera, for the extra pixels it has over my M5 and the e-series cameras I have. I now have an adapter to enable me to use OM Zuiko lenses, and the first few shots seem to indicate it was a good idea.

http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum&g2_albumId=7&g2_itemId=23258

I too use the original A7 for old manual lenses. It's a good home for them.

Recently an old friend who has a great photo shop (http://www.photo.co.nz) posted a couple of pictures on facebook offering 2 cameras at a discount if purchased online on facebook. One was a Sony A7. I was impressed by the specifications especially the number of pixels. It also could accept OM manual lenses, of which I have more then a few. For a full-frame digital camera, it has a small body. Here it is with a Zuiko 100/2 attached and a couple of digital cameras alongside. The 100/2 makes it a heavy combination. I have a lot to learn with this camera, and manual focusing will be a challenge for me, cataracts and all.

There are two wonderful focus aids for MF on the A7:

1. Turn on Focus Magnification and put Focus Settings on Custom Button one. One little reach to the side of the shutter button gives a magnified image to focus on. Once to see the area, twice for magnification, thrice for higher mag. Again, to go back to normal.

2. Set Peaking Level on. I use level "High" and color "White". There will be a shimmery effect along edges that are in focus.

Between the two, I find it pretty easy to focus.

<>
I don't get out much any more to do the kind of landscape photography I want to, in good part to my wife developing increasing memory loss and physical instability.

Sorry to hear that. I long ago had to care for a wife who eventually died. You
have my deepest sympathy.

Otherwise we are OK. Our house rebuilt after the 2015 fire is very nice and we
are happy with it.

Some good news.

Sending you the best,

Moose