Re: [OM] Fwd: Summer Drive shifts are up!

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Summer Drive shifts are up!
From: Lawrence Plummer <PlummerL@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 00:53:50 +0000
Thanks Bill,

We (KEXP) are on the tower on Capital Hill (shared with the UW) with a sea
level height of 810ft, with coverage averaging about 18-20 miles from Seattle.
The power is not great, but it sure beats the 10 watts when they started on the
UW campus in 1971! They more than make up for lack of power, with the internet.
They also broadcast on the Intelsat Galaxy 18 satellite. In 2000, KEXP was the
first station to stream onto the internet (24/7) at a level of 128kbps MP3.

The station is unique in the extreme. We have 24/7 airtime coverage by human
DJ's, over 500 live in studio performances (most broadcast) with many available
to be watched live by up to 75 people. They also do a lot of Facebook live
streaming, and every studio performance is put onto YouTube.

I (and many others!) do a lot of volunteer work for the station (over 50,000+
hours last year), the three annual fund raising sessions are quite fun, we get
calls to donate from around the world and I always have quite a few very
interesting conversations.

The best part, with retirement, I've been able to be more involved than ever.
It is what is keeping me young! There is also a lot of photo opportunities:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/13372062@N00/148qo1