Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Firefox Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Firefox Problem
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 06:34:31 -0700
I agree with David - the hosts file on windows only manages DNS lookups and can
often be used by a malware infection to redirect your DNS lookups, will not
stop direct IP address connects, and as David says, would have to be huge to be
of any affect, which windows is not really set up to handle well. In fact could
probably be giving you all sorts other problems with your browsers that would
be hard to figure out. localhost is all you need there. I real firewall blocks
IP addresses not hostnames. Another solution is to use uBlock origin, ghostery,
noscript, privacy badger ... which will do the hosts blocking for you, and if
you do use these, some sites are not going to work well.

I have a separate firewall and periodically download bad IP addresses into an
ipset on Linux. ipsets are designed to be efficient IP lookup. Mostly I use the
lists from abuse.ch malware trackers and dshield.com. That is also good to
prevent out-going connections in the case I have been infected to prevent
further malware payload download. I would give it overall a 60% advantage to
preventing malware. It is only a piece, and only for malware that has known IP
addresses. But blocking IP addresses only works 100% if you block the entire
internet.

Chris, I don't get your obsession with deliberately doing things very
insecurely and then complain when that causes problems? If you are going to
connect to some public wifi that has a high probability of being compromised,
and don't use a VPN, use IE, don't have patched OS, and then expect to get
around problems with some hosts entries file, IMO, is magical thinking.

Why not just run linux in a VM if you are not going to use a VPN, or TOR, or
get Tails and boot from a USB stick?

Now if you are a malware researcher, I would say you have good honey pot.

WayneS