Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Firefox Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Firefox Problem
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 09:04:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Looking into this further, it appears that this is a problem with most
browsers, but not with IE.

     I wouldn't have noticed this at all if it hadn't been for the
fonts.googleapis.com problem when using EarthLink webmail.  Whenever you
refresh the list or open an email, they interrogate that site a half dozen
times or more, which significantly slows things down, even on this 54M wifi
connection.

     To go a bit further, I shut of Firefox and I'm now using IE11.  By
watching my CurrPorts TCP monitor, I've seen that Firefox was bypassing just
about everything and making multiple connections to the wifi adapter, whereas
IE11 is making just one through netbios-ns.

     That is a significant security issue.  I've made extensive use of the
hosts file since I first learned about it back in the days of Win95, and seeing
that the newer non-MS browsers are bypassing it makes me very uncomfortable.  I
can only what other security features they are bypassing.

>Firefox is my default browser and I have no such issues.
>

>>     For months now I have been experiencing a substantial slowing when
>>reading webmail, due entirely to fonts.googleapis.com. This only happens
>>with Firefox, not IE11. I just now learned that newer versions of Firefox
>>ignore the hosts file, which answers a lot of other questions. If you're
>>not familiar with that, the hosts file is your first and foremost firewall
>>when using a Microsoft OS. That answers the question as to why intruders
>>like cloudfront and 1e100 come screaming through even though I have them
>>in the hosts file.
>>
>>     Searching online, Mozilla does not seem to be the least bit concerned
>>with the issue. That being the case, Firefox has become a liability and I
>>may find myself going back to IE11 solely on the basis of the security
>>issue.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson