Re: [OM] OT: Funny and worrying altogether

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Funny and worrying altogether
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
It's either fatigue or total reliance on video games, er I mean flight control
computers. We had a similar but only slightly more understandable situation a
couple of years ago. Boeing contracts with Spirit Aerosystems to construct all
737 fuselages, which are shipped to Renton via rail, and the entire nose and
cockpit part of the 787, which is transported to the Seattle area in a pregnant
guppy like aircraft, a 747 that has been blown up like a balloon,.Spirit, in
the old Boeing factory that built B47's and B52's is across the street from
McConnell AFB, so the pregnant guppy has to land there, getting landing slots
whenever. They were on their way in one night, and got stupid too fast, relying
on their computer to guide them.

Ah, you say, there are are three airports in a line there, each no more than a
mile from the next, a local GA facility, Hawker beech factory, and McConnell,
from N to S in that order. While they should have lined up on McConnell, they
were depending on their computer to guide them, and landed on the GA strip,
slightly less that 6,000 feet long, and just barely wide enough. Youpp, the
broke up a piece of runway at the threshold, and had to offload fuel, and other
stuff to get off the ground. Boeing flew pilots and engineers to supervise the
operation and it got out in just the nick of time.