Re: [OM] IMG: Camoflage + linguistics ... Jez

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Camoflage + linguistics ... Jez
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:32:59 -0700
Off Track Moose writes:
<<<I had the original Pilsner with lunch today. Last Thursday, I had one of the
US's great IPAs with dinner, Pliny the Elder. (There's also one in the fridge. :-) )

Actually PTE is a double (Imperial) IPA with double the hops and added deep
malt notes to balance--takes longer to brew and has higher ABV.

OK, sure. But the specs don't tell it all. Some (many) doubles grabs you by the collar, hop whips you into submission, then puts you in a stupor with alcohol. :-)

PTE is really surprisingly sophisticated; sure, the hops are there, but not rough and bitter without being nasty.  To me, it's just a really, really good beer, not some kind of double whammy. Somehow, it's also like the alcohol isn't as powerful as the ABV might suggest.

One can not source a PTE out here except on rare occasions. Perhaps can try it on a future visit.

Yeah, we need to set that up.

  Somehow, not a super Pilsner fan except on a hot summer day on occasion.

Thursday was a warm day. Just finished with a warm walk in gardens with friends, Reuben on the way, limited selection, Pilsner Urquell was perfect. :-) (Trummer Pils, made here and in Strasbourg would have been good, too, but not on the list.)

Pliny the Younger has edged out  PTE in some circles as top rated double IPA as
young upstarts are wont to do.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/140/

Yeah. I wonder, though, how many of the voters have had it, esp more than on one day. It's only available for two weeks in February each year, hardly prime beer season, and then in VERY limited distribution, draft only.

One of the old truths of market research is that you can't taste test beer like other things. Line up four beers in unmarked glasses, have tasters rate them - and the results will not track with what people actually buy and drink. You gotta give 'em a six pack and have them give ratings after a few days or a week.

I suspect part of that rating is people jumping on the enthusiasm band wagon. Not to say it isn't great; I don't know, as I've never had enough interest to go to the considerable trouble to try it.

And then, where's the line? PTE is a gentle, sophisticated double, 8%, #2 on Rate Beer and Beer Advocate. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a wonderful, sophisticated, 7% IPA, #2 on Rate Beer and #45 on Beer Advocate. (I wonder at the low rating on Beer Advocate; perhaps it's in the wrong category?)

I've never had the opportunity to drink both a few times in the same period, but I have drunk both several (Bell's) or many times (PTE), and would put them in the same category of sensory experience and quality.

Mike, The Not as Young as he Used to be.

It's all in your mind . . .

Feeling Frisky Moose