Re: [OM] Recommendations for student camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommendations for student camera
From: Christopher Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 02:30:26 -0400
The D70 was my first digital camera. Bought it new 16 years ago. My son uses it
now to photograph things he builds with Lego.

I loved the color the D70 produced but I was never happy with the resolution.
6mp just plain isn't enough for making big prints of highly detailed subjects
like landscapes. It worked well for editorial work, though. I was shooting for
Fort Wayne Magazine back then. Later upgraded to a Kodak DCS 14n, one of the
first fullframe cameras. It was 14mp and was the first digital I found really
usable for fine art photography. Later on, switched to a 20mp Canon 5DmkII.
Loved it, it made gorgeous 16x20 prints.

Switched a year ago to Micro 4/3 because the Canon stuff was too much for me to
carry with all of my health problems. Started with the Pen-F and recently added
an OM-D E-M1 Mark II. The best system I have ever used. Tiny and light,
incredible resolution. The Pen-F and E-M1 mk II are both 20mp, like the Canon
5DmkII, but the Olympus files are sharper. Part of it is that the Olympus Pro
lenses I have (7-14mm f2.8 and 12-40mm f2.8) are much better lenses than the
Canon L lenses I had before, and part of it is that the Olympus cameras don't
have anti-aliasing filters.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

On 3/18/19, 1:36 AM, "olympus on behalf of Bill Pearce"
<olympus-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    D70 was a rather nice camera. Files still stand up against newer models.