Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI

Subject: Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 00:36:37 -0700
On 3/14/2019 9:16 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
In Ctein's latest occasional news letter

Huh, haven't received mine yet.

it praises Topaz Labs Sharpen AI.

In the last newsletter, he was teasing about AI Clear. Recently, he told how much he is liking AI Gigapixel, but that he hadn't yet tried out AI Sharpen. Guess he has now done so.

I've also tried out all of those. After a couple of test comparisons, I bought AI Sharpen, even cheaper, as an upgrade to their earlier sharpening product.

So far, it's seems to me that their AI products are good, sometimes like magic, except when they aren't. Unlike the tools we have been used to, they rely on machine learning from many sample images. When used on a subject that fits into their training/experience, they are good to amazing. When they get their guess as to how to handle it cross-ways, it can be strange.

I posted this shot of an Asian Falcon, enlarged with AI Gigapixel before. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TopazAI_Gigapixel/AsianFalcon.htm>

I've just been working on a version sharpened with AI Sharpen before
up-sampling.

So far, AI Clear has been the most hit or miss of them.

He says, when it work, it works very well. When if fails it fails badly, but he
says you can just mask those areas of the photo.

Yup, that's what I'd do.

H. I. Moose