Re: [OM] Preparing for "Snowmageddon"

Subject: Re: [OM] Preparing for "Snowmageddon"
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 18:30:07 -0800
Hi, Larry. I don't really blame Seattle. We usually don't get enough snow to justify enough snow removal equipment. So when we really get hit, we can only clear the major streets and highways. The rest just wait for things to melt.  Also, people here often don't have much experience driving on snow and ice. Especially those who stay west of the Cascades in winter, and transplants from California who have mostly stayed west of the Sierras. And as you say, we have lots of steep hills.

In New England, a few inches of snow overnight was a minor inconvenience. In my hometown (in the Boston area), there were plenty of snowplows, and all streets got plowed. We rarely missed school when I was growing up unless things were really bad. People were used to snow, and mostly knew how to drive on it. Yes, hills can be a big problem, and Seattle has many more and steeper hills than most places in Massachusetts.

I guess what amuses me is the "We're all gonna DIE!" hype the media puts out. What terrifies me are the people who spin their wheels, begin to fishtail, and respond by hitting the gas harder. Especially when my car is next to theirs. And the ones who drive way too fast for conditions, especially if they have 4-wheel drive, as if that exempts them from the laws of physics.

--Peter
---