Re: [OM] IMG: Doing Things the Old Way

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Doing Things the Old Way
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 08:05:01 -0700
I have had problems with some card readers in the past. Not sure if it was
Windoze or the reader but the Lexar Multi-Card 25-in-1 USB 3 has been the most
stable. USB 3 has become more stable also.

The only reason I can think "not to connect a camera in directly to a computer"
is if your computer has a virus which uploads itself to memory cards. But your
camera looks like a card reader anyway, so not sure where the precaution of not
connecting camera to computer came from. Sony firmware updates require you
connect the camera to the computer.

If you ever upgrade to Windoes 10, I highly recommend delaying new feature
updates.  In Settings, under 'Update & Security' > 'Advanced Options' and set a
value under  "A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It
can be deferred for this many days:" for which I set mine to 140-180. Given all
the buggy updates from uSoft these days, this is my precaution. One update
broke my development tools until IAR could get a new version out. I had to roll
back windoes once because of it. Note: this does not delay security updates,
just new uSoft bugs. The claim "A feature update includes new capabilities and
improvements...." is not always true these days. New features are  often
features to get people to share more of their marketable selves to Big Data.

I also recommend, if you have the disk space, to increase the amount of storage
allocated for system restore:
Right click on My Computer (This PC) and select properties. Click on System
Protection. Click on Configure and move the slider to increase the storage. If
you ever need to roll back to a previous restore point, you may be glad you did.

PC hacker WayneS