Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Travelling from Canada to USA
From: "john hudson" <om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 11:48:18 -0400
<signaturebeforequotedtext></signaturebeforequotedtext>
On 02/06/19 12:26 AM, tOM Trottier  <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would suggest flying to Rochester, or to Buffalo or NYC & rent a car.
> Freeway
> average is 70mph and pretty direct. Driving probably faster than waiting!
> There
> should be deals available. Compare the price totals.
>
> Renting a car in the US may be cheaper than 2 taxi/uber rides and more
> convenient.
> Make sure your driver's license will be accepted or have the International
> one through
> auto association. Get AWD/4WD or snow tires.

Unless snow tires are mandated provincially I doubt that auto rental companies
will provide them other than for an exorbitant charge if at all.

They are not required in Nova Scotia or Ontario. I think that Quebec is the
only province requiring four snow tires for several winter months.

Driving an auto in Canada in snow conditions without four snow tires [or
studded tires] is completely insane !

jh

>  Is E of Lake Ontario so westerlies pick
> up lots of moisture before dumping on Adirondack mountains.
>
> March weather variable - could be a metre of snow or none. Whiteface great
> for skiing
> if snow, icy if not. You may want to schedule around Ontario(mar 9-17) & New
> York(mar 17-23) "march break" school breaks when prices rise and availability
> crashes.
>
> In Rochester you gotta visit the George Eastman Museum
> more:
> https://vacationidea.com/destinations/best-things-to-do-in-rochester.html
>
> On 4 Feb 2019 at 14:31 re:"[OM] OT Travelling from Canada to U..."
>  Mike Bloor(Mike Bloor <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:
>
> > I am planning to visit Northern New York State, near Rochester. My
> > travel options are (1) fly Dublin to New York, 3 1/2 hour wait, fly
> > on to Rochester, taxi to destination and (2) fly Dublin to Toronto,
> > hire a car, drive to Rochester. Option 1 involves around three hours
> > of passing through pre-immigration at Dublin Airport, which is a
> > nightmare, so option 2 looks attractive. Does anyone have any idea
> > how easy it is to cross the border in a Canadian hire car? How long
> > does it take? What are driving conditions like in March? I was last
> > in Toronto during a very snowy February and although all the city
> > roads were cleared I'm not sure about further out.
> >
> > Mike
> > --
> >

> --

<signatureafterquotedtext></signatureafterquotedtext>