Re: [OM] 25MM LENS CHOICE

Subject: Re: [OM] 25MM LENS CHOICE
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 00:11:28 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Yes,
I have the MZ 25 F 1.8 too.  Nice and compact as mentioned in reviews which
should be a strong point of MFT. I did not appreciate the new F1.2  MZ had such
a small light advantage given the T stop   but it does offer
better dof control.   (Perhaps Oly is going off the rails with size of
offerings this year)  I never found the 25/1.8 very good at subject isolation
except if fairly close to the subject with distant background.  Sometimes that
can be a challenge to fix in post.  The MFT Z 25/1.8 does have decent sunstars
though.
 The lens certainly doesn't provide the dof control of the OMZ 50/1.8  on OM of
course.  There is a Voigt 25/0.95  but quite soft wide open and not sure if get
any exif.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/02/28/the-voigtlander-f0-95-25mm-micro-43-lens-review-by-david-babsky/

Curiously to get excellent performance and very fast for MFT  in the middle
focal lengths the lens size and expense usually go up dramatically so advantage
over FF  narrows or reverses.

For example the CV 40/1.2 for Sonnie is quite sharp wide open, provides exif
and even has a distance encoder to provide focusing distance to cam to enable 5
xis IS.  It is very sharp stopped down for
landscapes and have substantial dof control for environmental portraits.  It is
a pleasure to handle---I enjoy using that lens.

Mike