Re: [OM] ultra wide ?

Subject: Re: [OM] ultra wide ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 12:28:27 -0800
On 1/4/2019 5:42 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
photo processing...

If you include Winsoz programs, the list gets even longer. Many of the newer entries concentrate on offering many pre created "looks" from which one picks, rather than doing the editing oneself. At least one offers fully automatic editing, using trained neural net AI. Whether that appeals depends on the user.

I don't like them because I mostly process different parts of an image
differently.

Perhaps you could approach the problem from a different perspective. What do
you want to be able to do? For example:

Correct Linear distortion, esp. in S/U WAs and kit lenses. AFAIK, there are
only four real players:
Adobe - There are a lot of profiles available, and an app to roll your own.

DxO - Pretty comprehensive set of profiles for AF lenses. None or close to none for MF lenses. The profiles are very high quality. The only simple way to allow really wide shots to be corrected in such a way as to allow the image to grow in width, rather than crop off some width/AoV. I keep DxO primarily for this.

PTlens - A pretty broad range of coverage, and he will make a new profile if you take the test images and sent them to him. Can retain full AoV after WA correction, but it's tricky.

LensFun - LensFun is used, either explicitly or under the hood, in several conversion/editing programs. In my limited world of µ4/3, the profiles are second rate.

Imadio Fisheye-Hemi - The one I showed you.  Only available as a PS type plug-in

Specialized apps:
The very best apps for some functions aren't in the general purpose programs:

Noise Reduction and "Sharpening": The best  of these are only available as stand alone and/or PS plug-ins. Stand alone works, but is hell on work flow. I use NeatImage, v7 or 8 and FocusMagic on virtually every image I process.DxO Pro NR and Topaz AI Clear are also in the mix, 'cause no one NR is best for all subjects. All are used as plug-ins, so I don't leave PS.

Layers & Masks:
This is where I live. Some other programs have one or the other in some form or other. None come close to PS for me. PS also offers some pretty amazing selection tools for masking.

Catalog:
A few offer cataloging of one's image files. LR is not only at least as capable as any others, it offers a Map function that shows geocoded images on a map. A serious life saver for me.

I dabble in other programs occasionally, but I think it's 'til death do us part for me and PS for conversion/editing and LR for catalog.

Opinionated Moose