Re: [OM] So close...

Subject: Re: [OM] So close...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 12:40:44 -0900
> I thought about this deal as well, as a second backup, since I also have the
> A7 III and a couple of lenses. What turned me off was the battery difference,
> which is half the power of the newer Sonys.

That was one of the key things that made me hesitate. There are enough
significant differences between the A7II and A7III that waiting for
the A7III makes some sense. It's not that I'm destitute in regards to
full-frame. The 6D is still a competent camera.

> I'm curious what lenses you would use with the Sony?

Well, I would basically consider it to be a digital version of the
OM-4Ti and OM-3Ti. Same lenses. I'm mostly using the 28/2, 35-80/2.8
and 300/4.5 on the 6D, with the 21/3.5, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2 (or
100/2.8) getting a lot of use too. I get strange color artifacts with
the 35/2 and 50/1.4 with the pixel shading problem, but most of the
lenses behave pretty well on the 6D. BTW, I did shoot the OM-3Ti along
with the E-1 yesterday.

> As to the "want" thing... are you growing younger?

No, but two daughters in college has my financial priorities
elsewhere. I get the brilliant idea of spending some money on myself
(camera) and consider the fleeting benefit of such a purchase. I'd be
better off, right now, to get a 14-54 mk2 lens.

Back to the lenses: The 35/2 is a pretty recent addition to the harem,
along with the 21/3.5. I absolutely love the bokeh and overall look of
the 35/2, but am amazed at the completely different look/feel to the
images as compared to the 28/2. The 28/2 is a lens that does not
impose any bokeh or DoF traits into the images, whereas the 35/2 is
all about bokeh and DoF. The lenses are so close in focal length, but
the way the lenses draw the images are polar opposites.

Another reason why I'm not too upset over the A7II purchase is that
I'm jumping back into film photography again this year. New Year's
Resolution. (missing the sale helped in this regard). Honestly, I
haven't shot a complete roll of film since moving to Alaska. The
reasons have been two-fold: No space to do any processing in the first
house we lived in. The present one has the space, but I've been tied
up with work and exercise to lose excessive weight. The other reason
has had to do with being overwhelmed by Alaska. I've done a year and a
half of "spray and pray" just trying to keep up with the intensity of
the scenery and the rapidly changing light.

Not sure about the JOBO film processor. The earthquake sent it
tumbling. Nothing was visibly broken, but it did end upside down about
15 feet away from where it started the morning. All the rest of the
darkroom gear survived relatively intact.

Regardless, I'm done with darkroom printing. It's 100% digital output
for me now.

AG Schnozz