Re: [OM] OT: Near Term Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Near Term Weather
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 18:45:49 -0800
We just got smacked with 100kph (60mph) winds, very unusual for here.

It took out a 140-year-old pear tree, very sad when you think about what that
tree must have survived over the years.

350,000 people were without power in Southwest British Columbia, including most
of Victoria and some of Vancouver. On the main road between the main ferry
terminal and the main village, we were without power for nearly two days. There
are still 70,000 without power.

Both roads between us and the main village were blocked with fallen trees. It
took five hours to get the roads open.

The telephone, via cable modem, worked through the storm, until Thursday
evening, when the battery in the modem gave up. By the time I put it and the
Internet modem on backup power, they were unresponsive. I guess the cable
provider's batteries ran out, too!

We had plenty of food in dry storage, a propane cookstove, wood heat, gasoline
lanterns, and a 15kW generator, and so were only modestly impacted. ("DO NOT
open that refrigerator!" was the cry to the young'uns here.) But the well pump
was on the OTHER house's electric service, so I kept moving the
tractor/generator between the two, long enough to keep both houses' freezers
from thawing and to mostly keep the water pressure up.

In the middle of it all, we had a baby goat born - just a reminder that there's
more to life than civilization.

Jan