Re: [OM] Stock Photography Today

Subject: Re: [OM] Stock Photography Today
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 21:01:36 +0100
I actually got 60 Euro from Alamy a couple of weeks ago. About 10 years ago I
dabbled in uploading photos to it, but in the end it was too much work with the
keywording and all that. Still, I am surprised that some of the images do sell
from time to time. I invested the money in beer.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

> [...]
>>> 53%. For the professional photographer the industry has changed and
>>> declined dramatically in the last decade. Fewer and fewer people need, or
>>> are interested in reading what I have to say. The amateurs don’t need to
>> be
>>> told how to maximize revenue from the images they create because they
>> don’t
>>> expect to earn much from their images anyway. More and more former
>>> subscribers are getting out of the business and moving on to other
>>> activities. It’s time for me to so the same.
>>>
>>> At one time, stock photography was an exciting way for many photographers
>>> to earn a comfortable and enjoyable living. Now, it is a bad-paying
>> hobby.
>>> And it is on a path that seems likely to get even worse, and more
>>> depressing for most of those who hope to earn real money from the images
>>> they produce.
>>>
>>> My goal in publishing Selling Stock has always been to help those still
>>> photographers trying to earn a portion of their living by licensing usage
>>> rights to the images they produce. Looking ahead images are likely to be
>>> created by robots and file sharing and piracy will continue to be on the
>>> upswing.
>>>
>>> In the Internet environment most people think all information and
>>> photographs should be FREE. They’ve been raised in the Walmart and Amazon
>>> economy where everything can be shopped down to prices so low no one can
>>> make a living.
>>>
>>> An ever increasing percentage of the images being created are produced by
>>> part timers who view their earnings as a “supplement” to another major
>>> source of income, not a serious income source. This trend will not be
>>> reversed, although there still may be a question as to whether amateurs
>>> will eventually produce everything professional image users want for the
>>> products they design.
>>>
>>> There may still be some opportunities for video producers, but I have
>> never
>>> produced video myself and have trouble understanding all that is involved
>>> in meeting the needs of video users. Given video production costs there
>> is
>>> still a big question as to whether a significant number of videographers
>>> will be able to profit from their efforts.
>>>
>>> I’m 82 and have been in the stock photo industry for more than 55 years (
>>> http://www.jimpickerell.com/About.aspx), first as a photographer and
>> more
>>> recently as the editor of Selling Stock. I’ve seen the industry at its
>>> peaks and current lows. All in all, it has been a very satisfying career.
>>> But, I was born at the right time to have a career in photography. People
>>> in their 20s and 30s need to explore other career paths. The need for
>>> professionally produced images will never be the same. For me, now it is
>>> time to explore the next stage of my life.

>>> tina-manley.artistwebsites.com