Re: [OM] Meet real precision

Subject: Re: [OM] Meet real precision
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 22:19:12 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
CT writes:

 <The ClockSync and GPSTest apps on my phones give me the time down to the
<second, and these days even that amount of accuracy is overkill.

GPS satellites have multiple atomic clocks with accuracy/precision in the
10**-12 range.   Nothing like the new ytterbium optical lattice clock but that
is not required for their function.  Taking into account the relativistic
effects of gravity and velocity are both
essential or the location data is trash. Many seem to think relativistic
effects are limited to exotic physics and don't appreciate Google maps turn by
turn direction is totally impossible w/o considering them.

Where in the world is, Mike