Re: [OM] Wonderful Goodwill Find

Subject: Re: [OM] Wonderful Goodwill Find
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 07:02:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I've learned the hard way to not second guess a bargain when it's right in
front of me.  If it needs cleaning or some minor repair and the price is right,
it goes home with me.

     Thrift stores have turned into gold mines for all sorts of things over the
years.  A couple of months ago I came across a Sargent combination plane
(supposedly made by Stanley) with a bunch of cutters and guide extensions for
just $7.50.

https://auctionimages.s3.amazonaws.com/68427/52943/42806827.jpg

>There's a win!
>
>Our (Adelaide) secondhand market is a bit weird... I once ran across a
>Manfrotto with a fluid head in a suburban pawnshop for $45, and I went
>away for a day to confirm availability of the broken leg locks. When I
>came back to buy it, it it was gone. A few days later I was in a central
>camera shop,  and there it was, with a $200 tag, still with the broken
>locks.  Just for laughs I said I knew where they got it and offered the
>camera shop the $45 they paid for it... The counter guy said he should
>call security - and I agreed he should, to arrest *him* for daylight
>robbery (all taken in the spirit of fun, of course) :)
>
>When I was in acquisition mode during the slump in used film gear
>prices, I did note that the pawnshops in the more affluent areas had
>much lower prices than the ones in the 'budget' suburbs. Very strange.
>
>We seldom get anything really outstanding  in the op-shops (charity)
>here, and most electrical items are dumped  due to .au's stringent
>safety testing requirements, but they are a good source of unusual books
>and cds/dvds.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson