Re: [OM] Wonderful Goodwill Find

Subject: Re: [OM] Wonderful Goodwill Find
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:50:35 +1030
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 04:36:01PM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>      At a Goodwill store today I came across a substantial pile of tripods.
> Among them I found a Manfrotto 055C missing two retractable 3256 feet.  I
> paid $5.25 for it and left the store joyfully.  I found that these sell for
> about $200 on evilBay.
>
>      I removed the remaining foot and put on some rubber caps that had come
> from other Manfrotto tripods.  The lone 3256 foot went on a Manfrotto monopod
> that I bought at another Goodwill last year.
>
> Chris

There's a win!

Our (Adelaide) secondhand market is a bit weird... I once ran across a
Manfrotto with a fluid head in a suburban pawnshop for $45, and I went
away for a day to confirm availability of the broken leg locks. When I
came back to buy it, it it was gone. A few days later I was in a central
camera shop,  and there it was, with a $200 tag, still with the broken
locks.  Just for laughs I said I knew where they got it and offered the
camera shop the $45 they paid for it... The counter guy said he should
call security - and I agreed he should, to arrest *him* for daylight
robbery (all taken in the spirit of fun, of course) :)

When I was in acquisition mode during the slump in used film gear
prices, I did note that the pawnshops in the more affluent areas had
much lower prices than the ones in the 'budget' suburbs. Very strange.

We seldom get anything really outstanding  in the op-shops (charity)
here, and most electrical items are dumped  due to .au's stringent
safety testing requirements, but they are a good source of unusual books
and cds/dvds.

davidt