Re: [OM] Climate Change

Subject: Re: [OM] Climate Change
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:56:33 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> There are four things that shouldn't mix: Religion, Politics, Science,
> and Sex.

You left out "photography." :-)

> As a survivor of multiple sex-assaults, I take great offense to
> this latest round of lunacy that has jumped the shark.

I hear you. We have numerous young people around as volunteers and employees.
Sometimes, a young female wants a hug. I back away unless there is at least one
other person (preferably, female) present. This tends to make me look cold and
withdrawn to these people, which is not my intention at all, but it's part of
my #MeToo safety zone.

One woman kept making suggestive remarks, which I totally ignored, and I even
told her she was out-of-line and asked her to stop. Later, she formally charged
me with sexual assault, which Crown Counsel (that's Canuk for "District
Attorney") dismissed as without merit, the day before I was to appear.
Meanwhile, I spent a month in extreme stress, wondering if I would have to hire
an attorney and be dragged through the mud in my community.

That's not to say there's a lot of real abuse going on. But when the leader of
the Free World gets away with it with no apparent repercussions, what do you do?

> Do we want real
> effective change, or do we want punishment and control.

I don't know anyone who wants "punishment," but I think "effective change"
needs a combination of a carrot and a stick: here are the benefits of adjusting
your behaviour, and here is what will happen if you do not. It's looking more
and more like the "stick" is that the US South may become barely habitable,
pummelled by drought and massive hurricanes. And it's looking like the poorest
people -- the ones who emitted the least CO2 -- will bear the brunt of that.
Talk about "punishment!"

> the vast majority of human caused climate change is blamed on the
> USA.

Well, call a spade a spade! The US has gotten to where it is largely by burning
hydrocarbons. And now, Mercans want every developing nation to bite the bullet
and reduce *their* emissions first?

I think there is a lot that can be done without blaming or shaming. We need to
appeal to people's "enlightened self-interest." But that requires
enlightenment, first, and the way things are going, that ain't gonna happen.

So, first off, don't swallow the denialist's Kool-Aid. Next, get over yourself;
it's not about you. Finally, do what you can do, knowing you can't do it all or
even get close. Perhaps a child (perhaps your progeny) will someday remember
that you made some sacrifices so they could have a better life.

Or, perhaps future generations will curse you. Your choice.

Obligate on-topic material: for my part, I'm not buying any new camera
equipment, at least until Olympus makes their long-awaited spring announcement.
:-)

Jan