Re: [OM] new build

Subject: Re: [OM] new build
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 11:26:13 -0700
Thanks for the reply David.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm using all the old parts that I can. These parts are newer than the original build. Including serviceable video card, newer high quality power supply, decent case, fans, DVD, etc. The 2600X supposedly comes with an adequate cooler but I have extras if necessary. Nice thing about newer stuff is that it runs at lower wattage. Anyway, besides the CPU, PS and graphics card fans I stick in 2-3 120mm case fans. Especially with 4 spin-up HD's. Never used an M.2 drive so don't know how much heat to expect from that. Case only has USB2 front panel jacks but that is no big deal. I have some USB3 jacks in an empty 3 1/2" bay and plenty in the back where I run down to the toaster and more HD's. Also back up to NAS.

Mike,

One gotcha... I reckon this mobo and CPU combination will need a
separate graphics card (and won't work with the onboard video sockets).
Most of the AMD processors have Radeon GPUs onboard.  The Ryzen CPUs
have a with/without option to suit the requirements of the user.

I think the 'E' option (e.g. 2600E) option Ryzen processor is the one
you will need to use the onboard graphics hardware. If you were planning
to upgrade to something high end, you can likely get a basic PCI-E video
card in the  $20 range to get you going in the short term.

Another gotcha with this range is the cooler (heatsink/fan). The
without-GPU ones usually come with an adequate cooler, but it looks like
the with-GPU ones need a separate cooler solution purchased (if you go
down this path, I'd suggest something quiet e.g. Noctua (in my opinion,
liquid cooling is just silly!).

Hope this is of use,
davidt