Re: [OM] Whatdaya think of Nykon's Z series

Subject: Re: [OM] Whatdaya think of Nykon's Z series
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 18:56:24 -0700
Nice to see competition but not much to attract a Sonnie  OM person.

Not unless there's some magic not yet apparent.

Seems they need to prevent migration of native Nykonians who want mirrorless
yet not cannibalize their own DSLR sales.
Perhaps they kept some tech  back---single card and no eye AF.  Odd type of
card too that I never had looked at.  Interesting they used a bit wider mount
to enable faster lenses and are starting with a  58mm F.95 lens.

The only thing that struck me immediately was potential trouble using the
adapter. I said on TOP:
____________________________

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *

However, I am sometimes a compulsive reader, hence:

/"The adapter, which is built from magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed, also incorporates a 1/4"-20 mount on the base to provide a more balanced means for working on a tripod with longer, heavier lenses."/

Watch out for this one! I have a similar design adapter for different mounts. Excellent in theory. *But*, mount a QR plate on either body or adapter, one that protrudes the least bit beyond the thing it's mounted to, and the adapter can't be mounted or dismounted without removing the plate.

Terribly frustrating! If I needed to use it more than once in a Blue Moon, I'd replace it with one sans tripod mount on the bottom.

This one will be fine if using only F-Mount lenses, but if considering a mix of F and Z mount lenses, check your QR plates against Z body and adapter.

Unfortunately, as with the P1000, there are no photos of the bottom of the
camera that I can find on the web.
* I do have an early '60s Nikkor-Q 200/4 F-Mount. Optically wonderful, but it's
pre-AI**, fully non-electronic.

** When AI meant Auto-Indexing, for the exposure meter."

TOP Mike's take on it today might be interesting, as well as the Thom Hogan
link he gives.

Adaptable Moose