Re: [OM] Up up and away

Subject: Re: [OM] Up up and away
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:10:59 -0800
> Congratulations on getting airborne.  If I recall correctly, if they will
> allow it, you can remove one bolt to release the lower window latch.  Then,
> at low speeds, the window should float up against the wing.  You might ask.

This particular aircraft doesn't have a right window that opens. Their
other one does, though, but it's kept up at Birchwood. They also have
a Citabria which we'll need to fly.

I was quite surprised to experience a visibility problem that I never
would have expected. There was a Diamond DA20 in the pattern with us.
I could easily spot every aircraft in the pattern (I think 7 of us at
one time) EXCEPT for the Diamond. At certain angles the airplane
disappears. We were on a long high final, and it was on a short low
final and it was gone. Even knowing exactly where it was didn't help.
At a certain angle, the wing is extremely thin and the T-tail is
perfectly lined up with the wing. I couldn't see it until it flared
for landing.  I saw it as it was on base, but when it turned to final,
the angle was perfect and the aircraft was cloaked by the power lines,
streets and buildings.

I could definitely see the bright red 180/185 with floats, though.

AG Schnozz