Re: [OM] A Taildragger Once Again

Subject: Re: [OM] A Taildragger Once Again
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:08:15 -0800
> But I've never seen or heard of a conversion to conventional tail. the
> question crying out for an answer is WHY?? Looks like someone took a tail of
> a King Air 90 and hooked it on the back. Maybe a cheap repair for excessive
> hanger rash?

Flying or AOPA magazine did an article on that conversion many years
ago. I'm sure my dad still has a copy of it around. The full
conversion extended the nose which added weather radar and additional
storage. The tail conversion modernized it and made it look current as
the twin-tail design was definitely dated and no longer desirable at
the time. But they had to put a humungous tail on it. The old tail put
the vertical stabilizers into the prop wash.

The 18 (and variants) are among the more beautiful aircraft designs.
It has some of the same lines of the Staggerwing and is artistically
correct. Even this conversion still looks pretty good. I do agree,
though, with the PT6 conversions. Those tend to look a little dorky.

AG Schnozz