Re: [OM] Informal Portrait Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Informal Portrait Help
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 15:59:30 -0700
On 6/30/2018 10:52 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Mendocino?  I have a McGarrigle song about getting there.  It must be a popular
subject in songs because of its scansion, as well as for its position and
beauty.

I take all your points, Moose, and I prefer the final one as it’s my aim to
capture roads like that sometimes, but I also like the silhouette job.

Thanks!

I see many of your photos on my MacBook, with its screen brightness turned
slightly down and not calibrated anyway.

As far as my experience goes, calibration gets the colors and contrast right,
but doesn't help with brightness.

  I’ll look again later on my iMac, which is calibrated and whose brightness I
try to maintain.

Finally, can you see the inconsistency in the phrase, “so I made sure it’s visible” – how the
tenses of the two verbs don’t match and how it should have been “it was visible"?

Not sure I agree. In the past, I "made sure", that it was visible then, is visible now and will be visible in the future, i.e., that one of its characteristics is visibility. The present tense seems most apropos to cover that, as a workable alternative to “so I made sure it was, is and will be visible” You were looking at it much closer to 'now' than to when it was processed.

I don't know if your version is more correct in pedantic terms, nor under which set of rules. I think my construction is more sensible. :-)

Or it may have been a typo. ;-)

It seems to me that speakers of English, certainly Over Here have lost the sense of time in their
verbs.  It started with the loss of the pluperfect but now we have sentences in which time is not
properly represented by the tenses.  Another example, mostly from the USA, is, “if I knew
that I wouldn’t have . . .” using the past instead of the pluperfect in the first verb.

OK, I'll cop to it. I don't know what the pluperfect is, some sort of slightly less than perfect perfection? More than perfect?  for the above, I would have written, and would say "If I had known that, I wouldn't have . . ."

Is that 'plu'? (Wait, now. Did they call that the "Past Perfect" over here,
when I was being taught such things?)

Lost Knowledge Moose

Oh well . . . Brexit (or Trump) are worse problems.

:-)

P. P. Moose