Re: [OM] OT – Flood Fail

Subject: Re: [OM] OT – Flood Fail
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 22:58:16 -0800
> I couldn’t afford the fuel of the X5, nor would it fit in my garage, I
> suspect.  As it is, I need the folding mirrors on the X3 (and the X1) to
> reduce the risk of mirror scrape on entry and exit.

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of efficiency with this
particular one. It doesn't do any better than my 2004 with the V8. But
I do average 22-23 MPG mixed city/hwy. 28 MPG on the two-lane
highways. Honestly, I think I could be more than happy now with the
X3. We didn't go with the X3 before, because the wheelbase was just
slightly off for the size-weight of the vehicle and it made for a very
rough ride on uneven roads. The X5 soaks them up.

> I didn’t realise that you had changed your X5s, Ken; was one for your
> deer-strike?

The first one got totalled after four months of ownership. Insurance
company bought me a really nice replacement. Both were 2004s. When I
got the new job in Alaska, we decided to replace the 2004 because it
was getting long in the tooth with 170k miles. I replaced the water
pump and a good hard look made me realize that it wasn't going to be a
good Alaska vehicle without a full replacement of all the hoses,
tubes, etc. Besides, it didn't have a heated steering wheel.

I love my heated steering wheel.

In retrospect, I would have been just fine with the 2004 up here,
except for the theft part. The door locks and keyed ignition are
easily picked (just need a bottle of lock fluid and a dummy key) and
in five seconds you're in and gone. Chevy/GMC trucks and SUVs are
stolen left and right, but 2000s BMWs grow legs too. Somebody tried
stealing mine a few weeks ago and my door lock is still dripping
fluid.

I'm thinking that we'll keep this two more years (three total) and
then I'll get an X3. But I'll mosey past the dealership before I buy
new tires and see what kind of deal they can cut me. I'd also consider
an M2 in blue. But the newer X3 chassis is so much nicer than the
previous generation. It drives nice and doesn't beat me up. Interior
space is very close to the first generation X5.

AG Schnozz