Re: [OM] AK Driving

Subject: Re: [OM] AK Driving
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:46:01 +0200
<<
BTW II:  we did the 2017 drive in Aug-Sept;  the smoke from fires in the
west really dampened (wrong metaphor,  smoked) the atmosphere throughout
the drive until we got to the Yukon.  So we're doing 2019 in May/June,
hopefully before major fires, though already this year it isn't looking
good.  (This also means longer day-times, which seems good.)

Bob,
I never traveled to AK, but went 3 times in Norway, two between roughly
20 July-20 August, and one between 20 June-15 July. The June-July trip
permitted us to see the midnight sun, and in general offered longer days.
It was fine on the islands and in general in places near the sea, but
there was snow in the high places, sometimes lot of snow. Another
problem was the presence of big stinging flies (horseflies, if this is
the correct term), they go away later.
Since you are planning to drive on small roads I suggest you to check
what you should expect if driving/visiting in May-June. I'm not sure it
would be the best time to travel there.

Ralf