[OM] AK Driving

Subject: [OM] AK Driving
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:59:06 -0500
Ken wrote:  (with respect to driving to AK)

"I'd drive it again--absolutely! I'd like to do it with a bit more
camping gear and more time. Our only regret was not taking one more
day to do the trip, but we were on a relatively tight schedule and had
getthereitis."

As you all know,  we drove up and back (with the help of the AK Maritime
Ferry coming back) in 27 days in 2017 (it took 8 of the days to get from
Kansas to Canada and back, 4 each way, by way of the major national
parks.)   Life changing, actually.

Just one more day ?   Nah ... we're going to do it again in 2019, taking 40
days.   I learned that the problem is, by planning a drive as primarily a
driving event means there's too little time to stop and, well, smell the
roses.   In 2017 every day required driving (we drove 11000 miles) which
limited stop times   I also learned that the main roads are very good, but
that the really interesting things are typically on the side roads.  And
... I learned that even though AK has a relatively limited road system,
there's a lot ... a lot ! ... of terrific places to visit by car.  Hence
more time.

By "we" I mean myself and a great Dutch friend (2017) and a great Georgia
friend (2019.)  Wives (at least ours) don't particularity like
photo-oriented start-stop driving,  so they're meeting us in Anchorage for
8 of the days in AK.

Bob

BTW: as we get older,  it seems important to do these things while we're
reasonably able.  We've watched too many friends all-of-a-sudden develop
problems that complicate long-term travel.
BTW II:  we did the 2017 drive in Aug-Sept;  the smoke from fires in the
west really dampened (wrong metaphor,  smoked) the atmosphere throughout
the drive until we got to the Yukon.  So we're doing 2019 in May/June,
hopefully before major fires, though already this year it isn't looking
good.  (This also means longer day-times, which seems good.)
BTW III:  this is on-topic;  maybe 10K OM shutter-clicks in 2017.