Re: [OM] Anchorage just like any other city

Subject: Re: [OM] Anchorage just like any other city
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 09:01:03 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yes, I know, "affordable" is a code word for a political position that fat
> cat developers and the City should pay to
> house those who could not otherwise afford to live there.

Does Berkeley have something like an "Official Community Plan?"

Here in the People's Petro-State of Canuckistan, every community that receives
federal money is required to have one. Right up front in that two-inch document
is a list of definitions.

On Salt Spring Island (at least), "affordable housing" is formally defined as
housing that costs no more than 35% of the average income of the island.
Developers receive perks (such as variances to zoning) for providing housing so
defined.

This is remarkably effective in addressing gentrification, because as more rich
people move in, the definition of "affordable" goes up, and developers have to
work harder to get their perks. Subdivision build-out is so far advanced that
developers have a hard time siting a development without zoning variances. If
developers had their way, the island would be paved with weekend estates for
the wealthy, and there would be no one here to serve meals and clean toilets.

I know there are many here who share your view that "affordable housing" is
nothing than a wealth transfer scheme. But having served on land use planning
commissions, I've developed a more nuanced view of it.

Jan