Re: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:21:28 -0700
I've been using the Montana for a few years, Newer models available. A bit big. Good battery life. Best feature is ability to load all kinds of maps and many of them. Many freebies. Routing on roads and trails. Use it all the time traveling rather than the car gps. Free openstreet route-able maps for download. Also used the free excellent UK topos. Free topos for all the states and many countries. Also aerial photo overlays. I use it for mapping trails and can upload the gpx files and convert to shape files or kml files. Camera sucks but is sufficient to document waypoints etc. May be overkill for many users.

FWIW with cell phone apps you can cache tiles for offline use up to the available cache size.

Funny that we should be talking this. I've been looking for a new
handheld GPS. My old eTrex has button issues and has no usable map
display. I'm looking at the new Garmins and some even have built-in
cameras.

While the cellphones have built-in everything and my old Note-3
actually does a reasonable job of GPS work off-grid, the problem is
battery life and the fact the maps can disappear on you when you need
them most. It's just not good enough of a solution for being in Alaska
away from the cell network. I've tried and used numerous map/hiking
software solutions with topos and everything, but when you hide is on
the line, it just isn't the right tool for the job. Dedicated devices
that do GPS mapping as their primary function are definitely prefered.

AG